Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Modern Mom Must-Haves: Save Time, Money, & Sanity!

I stumbled upon this graphic on a noteworthy blog the other day. These Chicks are just oozing with energy and coolness. I wish they weren't located in Canada so I could check out one of their bootcamps! Hey FitChicks! If you're reading this, your pals in the US of A want some bootcamp!


I thought this little pic was so appropriate for how I feel on most days that I had to share it.


Does this look like you too, Modern Mama's?

Since I'm somewhat of a newbie to this whole mom thing (okay, I'm a total newbie) I was hoping you professional Modern Mama's would have some suggestions on how to balance it all. What are your secrets and tips on finding time to take care of yourself and everyone else around you? 

After thinking about this, I came up with a list of some of my fave must-have modern mom items that I can't live without these days.

1.  My Keurig! 


 


If you don't have one, get one. It saves so much time in the morning! Just pop in a pod and in 30 seconds you have a steaming cup of joe that is PERFECT every time. This is especially helpful because my hub doesn't drink coffee every-single-day like I do. You can even order pods through various delivery services and have them delivered right to your door so you never run out. Talk about a time-saver. I actually have quite a funny story about that. We had a rough road at the beginning with my little guy, so when my son was about 3 months old after a long night of no sleep, I was desperate for a cup of coffee from my trusty Keurig. We were out of pods, of course. Well, the great thing about the Keurig is that it comes with this little device that allows you to make coffee with regular ground coffee instead of using the pre-filled pods if you choose. I had never used it and thought this would be the perfect opportunity...except that we didn't have ground coffee in the house either! I literally removed everything from the pantry in my desperate search for coffee. I even went into the garage and dug through the camping box, hoping to find some leftover, forgotten package of instant coffee. No luck. I was seriously like an addict trying to get a fix. Crazy. Anyway, the point is this -- in my house, mama doesn't run out of coffee!

2.  ExerciseTV onDemand. I persuaded my hub to sign up with Comcast when we moved into our new house based strictly on the fact that they offer ExerciseTV onDemand. If you're busy with work, school, kids, whatev, and don't have time to trek to and from a gym to slave away on the miserable treadmill, then this shiz is for you. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Put the little guy down for a nap and catch a quick workout on my schedule.  Most of the workouts are less than 30 minutes so you can get in, get it done, and carry on with your day. You can stack a couple if you want a longer workout too, like adding some resistance training. The listings change monthly so it's always fresh, but you have the option of purchasing workout DVDs if you find one you must have. Did I mention how much I love this? (ETA: Unfortunately, in late 2011 ExerciseTV announced it will be shutting down its TV channel and website, read the full story here. Major bummer). 

3. AmazonMom. Great baby/kid stuff at great prices with free delivery. What more can you ask for? When you sign up you get 3 months free of AmazonPrime (a $79 value) that gives you FREE 2-day shipping. And every time you purchase a baby item in a given month, it extends your Prime shipping for another month. Woot! One of the nice things about AmazonMom is you can opt to have items like diapers autoshipped to you at set increments (like once a week/month, etc) saving you precious time and gas money. I've noticed that I purchase a lot more frequently off Amazon lately (even for non-baby items) because their prices are usually competitive and you can't beat the free 2-day shipping.  


4. Bumble & Bumble Hair Powder. Love. This stuff is uh-mazing. With a full-time job, commute and 6 month-old, I can't keep up with dying my hair regularly. Nor do I like to fork over the wad of cash every 6-8 weeks (why are salons so dang expensive?) I also don't wash my hair daily because it gets really dry if I do, so I use this to touch up in between washes/dyes and whisk away that day-old look. It has excellent coverage for root touch-ups, see ya grays! It comes in 4 different colors to match your hair color, unlike regular dry shampoos that always come out making my hair look more gray. Try it, you will be a fan. 


What are your must-have, money/time savers for the Modern Mom?? 
Share the secrets ladies!




No comments:

Post a Comment